The Out Basket

8.09.2006

In which to see better, I have to see worse

Having put it off long enough, I've actually seen an eye doctor with the intent to get another pair of glasses.

My last exam was about two years ago. The glasses I got were impossible for me to adjust to; I could see about 3" of anything held at reading distance from my face. To see anything more, I had to turn my head. I described the feeling as claustrophobic. It was something of a relief then when Chris broke them as they were hanging from a necklace in the car. That was close to two years ago.

I had done a little research before going. I found some frames I liked a lot. The company is called Spectacle Eyeworks out of Canada. These aren't your mamma's eyeglasses - which is of course, the objective. Since I can't seem to find any eye make-up that doesn't burn my eyes, I'd like to have something distinctive to wear on my face instead. Spectacle Eyeworks referred me to just two shops in Denver who carry their line. Of course, neither of those shops are on the Comcast vision plan.

Although WideOrbit will reimburse me for any expenses related to eye care, I decided to try the Comcast plan, and made an appointment at Pearle Vision. After all I know that I can't front the entire expense, and if this could save me some cash, then I might have more in my WideOrbit flex account if I needed it later.

My appointment was at 1:00 today. I had the full exam, including the annoying dilation. They sent me out of the dark exam room into the light. Boy, was it bright. In my impaired state, they expected me to actually be able to see the frames that I was trying on. I did get something of an impression of a line called "Bellagio" which has a lot of interesting frame styles. By interesting I mean floating lenses, laser-cut temples and colors. It being difficult for me to discern details, I was rather relieved when the optician offered to order some out-of-stock frames for me in better colors - this gives me the chance to actually see them clearly before making any decisions. At $200 for a pair of frames, I'm not hurrying this process.

I have to say that the doctor and optician were very accommodating. They spent a lot of time with me answering stupid questions. The optician is obviously interested in my business, as he seems to be going above and beyond to sell me eyeglasses. I'll feel bad if I choose not to buy from Pearle.

However, I had to see the Spectacle Eyeworks frames first. I would have to wait.

The doctor had asked me if I had sunglasses out in the car. I actually had a pair in my bag, but I was gratified to find a much darker pair in the console. Because I had to drive myself home.

I've had my eyes dilated before, but I don't remember it being this bad. It quickly went from "annoying" to "impaired". The optician told me that it would get steadily worse over the two hours following the procedure, and then it would clear. But first I had to get myself home. It wasn't easy, but I carefully drove home and promptly went to bed. I love our Dark bedroom - I loved it a lot more at about 2:30 this afternoon. I covered up my eyes and for the first time in an hour felt like I didn't have abnormal sight.

By 4:00, all was pretty much back to normal. Yes, the sun still looked too bright, but in shade I could see reasonably well. Chris and I hopped in the car and after picking up Boy, headed to Tamarac Square and International Optique. They did have some of Spectacle Eyeworks' frames, and a lot of other interesting frames. I've picked out a couple of pairs that I like reasonably well. The staff at International Optique was super patient and very willing to give advice about shapes - face and eyeglasses. I discovered that plastic lenses are generally too heavy for my face, and a subtle cats' eye shape is good for me. It's not going to be easy finding something suitable in purple. The "fashion" colors are ones I don't generally wear. The blue frame that tones to black on me is a good possibility, although I don't think I have anything in my closet that is blue.

Still no decisions though. The Pearle Vision optician is going to call me in two or three days when the new frames come in. I just have to have patience. And about $400 ahead....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home