The Out Basket

10.03.2006

In which an important safety lesson is learned

Today's important safety lesson: If you're right-handed, don't try to swirl boiling water in a paper cup in your left hand.

I had picked up one of those "cup-a-soup" type miso soups to go with the sushi from Wegner's last night. Both were surprisingly good; the soup has an envelope of miso paste and the tofu, onions and see vegetable are freeze-dried. The sushi is dispensed from a cold case adjacent to the sushi kitchen at the supermarket. Other than using sea-leg in the California Rolls, the sushi was very good.

I started prepping the soup by pouring the miso paste into the paper cup in which it was packaged. Thinking I'd rather eat soup out of real dishes, I changed to a ceramic bowl. This meant that some of the miso was left in the cup, and if I'd just swirl some of the hot water in the cup to rinse it....

I am frankly surprised that I don't have blisters all over the back of my left hand. I carry one or two little foil envelopes of Burn Gel in my bag, and I was grateful to have it. I applied it in great gobs twice, and wrapped my had in a hotel towel to keep the gel from migrating to places I'd rather not have it.

Other than being a little sensitive this morning, my hand feels OK. But it could have been worse. I don't know if I'm more chargrined at the injury, or my stupidity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home