The Out Basket

9.14.2006

In which a raincoat is required

I seem to have made a fateful mistake.

I didn't bring my raincoat.

I've been in Rochester, New York for 5 days; it's rained for four, with seemingly increasing intensity. Driving in this morning was decidedly unpleasant; rain for Easterners may be as lunacy-provoking as for us Westerners. Visibility was reduced on the interstate, but at least people were driving well - it's that long stretch of Route 15 that was nutty. People stopped in the left lane for no reason; backups for no reason; drivers posturing for position despite unfavorable traffic (and weather!) conditions.

I did bring my fleece jacket, expecting to need it at night. And an umbrella which I seem to always leave in the place I don't need it. Newspapers make good umbrellas, I think.

Four days of rain is somewhat a novelty to this Westerner. Being a 30-year resident of Kansas has made it not so novel - it's beginning to get downright depressng.

In other news, I realized that this is the Rochester from which Lynn and Michele hail. I put the pieces together yesterday. Duh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home