The Out Basket

12.06.2005

In which it gets very cold

The first really cold days (and nights) have arrived. The Weather Channel is reporting 8° right now, or –6° with the wind chill. It’s been snowing all day. We’ve lit the fire place and many Christmas candles, and I put the storms down in our bedroom and bathroom this morning. I see that there’s been some improvement in the temperature in there; the thermostat has come up a couple of degrees to 54°. Of course our bedroom faces north and so suffers the brunt of the cold wind. I do so want to get curtains hung in the bedroom, but I don’t really see any possibility of that before January.

We keep the furnace at 62° during the day (heating and cooling being one of our major household expenses), which works well in keeping the main floor livable. But the upstairs is just plain cold. My office, which is usually warmed by the sunshine, is plenty cold on these cloudy days. I will sometimes work at the kitchen table rather than the office, but that doesn’t work so well if I have a meeting and need the phone. Sweatshirts are required working-at-home attire on days like today.

There’s been snow on the ground for several days, which is actually pretty unusual for Denver in December. We usually have some snow, punctuated by mild sunny days at this time of year. I’m not complaining though. It’s nice to have snow and cold before traveling to Florida this weekend. And now that the Christmas decorating is done, and the shipments of presents and candles are starting, it’s feeling really festive around the house. The wrapping paper comes out tonight, because my closet is beginning to get too full of unwrapped gifts.

Tonight’s low is expected to be –3°, with one to three inches of snow accumulating and “dangerous” wind chills. With 10 mph winds, one wonders where snow might “accumulate”. Tomorrow night will be even colder, at –6°. Never fear, those mild sunny days are in the forecast; the week will warm rapidly into the mid fourties by the weekend, when the snow will of course disappear. All in all, I’m pretty happy that I’ll be in Florida by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home