The Out Basket

10.19.2006

In which sewing is causing a bit of whining and a need for wine-ing

I've done period costuming for so long that to use a modern pattern and modern techniques is really causing some whining and gnashing of teeth.

I'm working on Halloween costumes, and of course Chris' comes from a modern pattern. Period patterns use techniques like draping or making patterns from the wearer's body, but with a modern pattern, you get what you get. My first complaint is that the pattern is printed on flimsy paper, which 1) you have to be really careful with or you can't use it again, and 2) it's impossible to re-fold, not to mention that 3) it never fits back in the same pattern envelope.

The cynical Melanie says that these challenges are intentional on the part of the pattern company; after all their interest is in selling patterns, and they don't really want you to ever re-use the blasted thing. The practical Melanie carefully unfolds, cuts, pins, unpins, re-folds, and replaces the pieces in a 9"x12" Manila envelope.

Next comes the sizing. The largest patterns come one size too small for Chris. So I have to add an inch to all the outside seams in between the shoulder and waist. The pieces never, never, never fit correctly after that. So much for the pattern company's much touted "easy sizing" scheme. It's a lie. I'm currently struggling with the bloody neckline. I laid it aside last night and stitched up the sleeves and placed the interfacing and facings on the frockcoat's skirt. I'm going to have to go back to it today, but I'm not prepared for it. Maybe some wine would help?

The paper of course has to be pinned to the fabric. In another example of why I hate to pin things, the fingertips on my thumb and first two fingers are in pain from sticking all the blooming pins in, and then taking them out again. I far prefer draping.

When cutting out a pattern, to use the pattern company's directions, you have to remember to cut in all sorts of fiddley points and mark dots. It's not just a pain, in some cases it's totally useless. "Pin at the center point of the neckline and the back, matching the triangles." Heck, if you've got the center of both pieces, the stupid triangles match anyway!!!

After all that, if I follow the directions, I have to do all sorts of nonsensical things like stay stitching, or applying tiny little facings that don't remain in place because they're too tiny. Who came up with the notion of fusible interfacing anyway? When it does stick it bubbles the fabric; when it doesn't, it's too limp to be of any use.

I better start sewing today with a glass of wine. I can't wait to work on my costume- there's no bloody pattern; it's all draping!

And yes, some sharp cheese with that would be tasty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home