The Out Basket

12.04.2006

In which the goose is getting fat at an alarming rate

December 4; only ten days until Christmas.

It's not "new math". I leave for Albuquerque in just eight days. I have to have Christmas virtually finished by then. This includes finishing decorating, shopping, and Christmas cards. I'm beginning to feel a little frantic.

I suppose it's a hell of my own making; I am the one who insists on elaborate Christmas trees, one for each downstairs room. It's not decadence; it's just that I have so many ideas about tree themes that I want to try each one. I insist upon cooking at least one holiday meal, although my mother talked me into having Christmas Eve catered last year, and it was a grand idea. We're planning on Syrian this year - hummos and kabobs, baba ghanouj and shawarma, and the best pita in Denver.

My brother and sister-in-law are coming for the holiday, but sadly have to leave on Christmas Day. Perhaps instead of Christmas dinner, we'll have brunch. Unsurprisingly, Greg is also a cook, and I really would like to spend part of the weekend in the kitchen with him. Have to balance the limited home time with the many things I want to do in it.

There are the stockings, waiting on stuffing. Next weekend is slated for the Christmas shopping, present wrapping, and card writing. And then I pack for Albuquerque. And then it's Christmas.

All too close.

2 Comments:

  • Greg's afraid to cook for you, though, in spite of the fact that I have tried to reassure him that you would not be unduly critical.

    Ask him about paprikash.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:03 PM  

  • I hope that I have reassured him...?

    By Blogger Melanie Unruh-Bays, at 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home